The School Improvement Team is responsible for ensuring the Local Authority (LA) meets its statutory duties relating to:
- schools causing concern (SCC);
- statutory assessment including phonics check monitoring visits and moderation of EYFSP, end of KS1, KS2 teacher assessments; and,
- acting as the Appropriate Body for the NQT induction process.
In addition to this, the core function of the School Standards and Effectiveness Advisers (SSEAs), External Associate Advisers and Intervention Officers will be to support those LA schools identified as having specific risk factors such as:
- Ofsted judgement of requires improvement, serious weaknesses or special measures;
- schools on the LA SCC Protocol;
- schools expecting an imminent Ofsted inspection; and,
- schools where the LA has identified an element of risk e.g. progress data, attendance, leadership, significant staffing changes etc.
- Additionally, schools with a recently appointed Headteacher will also be offered mentoring / leadership support.
There will be no charge for schools receiving support through the above criteria and support will be differentiated according to need.
Support for all other schools may be purchased where capacity allows. Examples of support and training are contained within the “School Improvement Team Support for Schools” brochure and may include:
- Pupil Performance Review;
- Review of the School Improvement Plan;
- Evaluation of the school’s Self Evaluation Summary;
- Reviews of teaching (lesson observations, book scrutinies, data reviews);
- Review of assessment and tracking processes;
- Support for key appointments other than head teacher;
- Pre- and post- Ofsted health check;
- Headteacher Performance Management;
- ASP Review;
- Primary English and/or Mathematics support;
- EYFSP support;
- Secondary English support;
- NQT Induction and support;
- Review of School Website (Ofsted Compliant);
- Programmes tailored to the school’s needs and agreed with the Headteacher.;
- Facilitation/CPD for school clusters;
- Staff training sessions (in-school or Centre based).